Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Farm banner




As you probably know, my family is visiting from Los Angeles (and Seattle). It has been at least 5 years since I have seen them. As almost all of them are originally from Iowa, and in fact lived on a farm, we always make an effort to go out to "The Farm". This time was a slightly more significant as this is Petra's (my cousin's daughter) first trip to Iowa. The Farm was were my Dad and Aunt grew up, where my cousin spent a large amount of her childhood, and where my brother spent the first couple years of his life. 






Both of my parents have amazing siblings. When they are with them they always seem so much more relaxed. Of course I've heard many stories from my Dad about The Farm, but my Aunt Mary brings a whole new perspective, and lots of new stories.




Above is the row of trees where.. well a couple dogs are buried. As well as where the chicken coupe used to be. Below the, now fallen, mulberry tree. 



Sye, Petra, and I ventured out to where the house used to be. The grass was as tall, and some taller, than Petra. Although the house is no longer, it is now a wooden platform that covers the well. It's so strange to think that this space of land is the location of some of my favorite stories. I can only imagine what it would have been like to live out here.




I cannot remember a time when The Farm had buildings. It used to have a house, a large barn, a chicken coupe, and a couple other buildings. There isn't much left to it anymore, but visiting always brings up great stories and memories.


Thank you to Amy of A is for Ampersand for the banner. She posted 7 of them, and I plan on using them all to document this visit. On a totally unrelated note, has anyone noticed the change in photo color when you upload directly to blogger? I am really starting to consider just uploading to Flickr.


Ciao!

1 comment: